Sunday, October 14, 2007

Breaking my own rules

Sally and I have had several discussions in the past about the role of lists. I am a firm believer in using a list to write down what you are supposed to be doing, as an action plan. If it's not on the list, you aren't supposed to be doing it!

Whereas Sally is more along the list of putting things on the list to remember to do them at some point, so you can get on with doing whatever it is you feel like at the time.

Now I am finding, along with the compulsion to start alot of things and never finish them, I am also deviating wildly from my own list. Very naughty. Theoretically I should be working on my mother's Xmas present (and a multitude of other things) but instead I have been making myself shorts and also digging through my stash to see what is in there. This has resulted in more projects - turning some printed cheesecloth into baby wraps and also making some crazy lizard pants for my brother for Xmas. Hrm. So the purpose of this post is to guilt myself back onto the actual approved list. I might just write all my extra projects down on it instead...

2 comments:

alison said...

Mmmmmm, I think I'm in the middle of you two. I have all the ideas on my list (otherwise I'd forget them) but I have a priority system (coloured dots) so that I know what to do first.

Of course this is not foolproof.

Janet said...

I always used to have the action plan lists, but recently have started making the must do sometime lists. The most endearing thing about these, is that you can have something gnawing away at you for hours (or days) but once you write it on a list, you no longer have that "must do" feeling. Consequently many of my important things on this list never get done, and I no longer worry about it. It is as if by writing them down, I have actually done them.