Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Savita


The Savita, originally uploaded by Kim (GGS).

This week has been a great week for doing all those things I had forgotten to do... like tell you about this fabulous bag I made for Miss Savita! The lovely Sav held my baby shower (which was a raging success, given it was a school night) and I also wanted to make up for not ever running the 'how to make your own summer bag' workshop as promised.

As I wanted to get all the finishing neatly done on this one, it took BLOODY AGES (no comment, Sally), and when I was done, I didn't really want to look at it for a while... I used fast2fuse to make the bag stiff, but I always struggle to get the glue to melt consistently. So despite mucking around with tacking the interfacing to the bag to get a nice flat application, it still bubbled the material. ARRGH. This meant quilting to hide the worst of the sins, but in the purple the same colour as the bag, it actually looked ok.

This is the first attempt at using magnetic clasps as well - which Paul was able to apply with a minimum of fuss. Would recommend putting some material between the pliers and the clasp, as the clasp is very soft and you can get up with imprints it if you aren't careful.

The combination of the clasps and stiff interfacing worked very well - after leaving the bag closed for a couple of days, it held it's shape all on it's own!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

great colours! where di you get teh magnetic snap? I've not found anywhere to buy them other than online so have been harvesting them from bags from vinnies